Rainy. Windy. Cold. Not exactly the kind of weather I wanted to run in after two solid days of sunshine and warmth.
Tuesday morning called for an indoor workout from my living room floor, which was great, because I had already committed to spending the day helping out at my family’s chocolate store.
But first, the workout. Because any day surrounded by chocolate should at least begin with a little sweat and a little OMG-JILLIAN-MICHAELS-YOU-AND-YOUR-IMPOSSIBLE-WORKOUTS-SUCK.
So that’s what I did.
40-Minute (Pre-Sugar-Binge) Living Room Workout
1. Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred Level 1: Note, this was the first time that I’ve ever done a video from the celebrity trainer, and holy biceps was she tough. Jillian is definitely a no pain no gain kind of trainer, and her videos are reflective of this hardcore attitude. If you’ve never done one of her workouts before, know that Jillian’s reputation precedes her for a reason. Level 1 was more than enough. She’s a beast. Hopefully a few more of her videos, and I will be one too. (Though for now, I’ll continue to sheepishly take breaks in the middle of sets because I’m far too weak to do push-ups for all of 30 seconds.)
2. Exhale Core Fusion Pilates Plus: A breath of fresh air after Jillian’s grueling workout, I’ve really grown to love this simple 10-minute or so routine. In a way, the motions are therapeutic, and the concluding leg work is especially great for runners.
3. Core work: Five minutes on my own. I was about to put on my handy eight-minute abs video, but then I decided, why not wing it. Set a timer and try it yourself; you might just find you enjoy the improvisational twist. Truth be told, I did.
After 40 minutes of grunting and sweating, I was ready to throw in the towel, hop on a train, and head to Great Neck, where I got to play with this…
Really, five minutes is all it takes to understand why my dad loves every minute of what he does, and what he has done for more than 30 years.
Because it’d be incredibly selfish to boast about my access to endless chocolate, I’ve decided — and my family has agreed — to giveaway a half-pound box of chocolate to two lucky winners!
(A half-pound is half this size, but still lots of candy to gobble down in true holiday form!)
Stomach growling? There are three ways to enter.
1. Leave a comment below letting me know, if you win, which kinds of chocolate you want in your half-pound box. Browse the virtual showcases here. (Note: While I should limit you to dark chocolate — this is a healthy living website, after all — what the hey. Choose what you love most. We’re runners; we work hard, and we deserve to play harder.)
2. Follow Lazar’s Chocolate on Twitter, and let me know below. (Or, let me know if you are already a follower.) Say hi, if you please! The candymen are new to the space.
3. Tweet the following message (or something like it): I just entered to win this DELICIOUS chocolate #giveaway from @LazarsChocolate + @RunForGlitter! http://bit.ly/QGiVy8 #chocoholic
I’ll choose a winner on the Monday after Thanksgiving — that’s November 26th, when I return from Hilton Head with Noah’s family — and send your half-pound box right after.
Good luck, chocolate lovers!
- If you got to design your own half-pound box of chocolate, what would you fill yours with?
- Any awesome Thanksgiving plans? Does it involve running? Turkey trots? If you need me, I’ll be on the beaches of South Carolina, running, and running, and running. And eating apple crisp.